During the construction of the Alaska Highway every hotel and home in Whitehorse was overflowing with army and air force personnel. Even the riverboats that tied up overnight were used to accommodate construction crews. The shortage of rental units and space promoted Martin Berrigan then in his early 70’s, to begin building the log skyscrapers.
The three-story skyscraper was the last of Berrigan’s many log buildings and was completed in 1947. It is 58 logs high and is made of logs weighing at least 300 pounds each. It was originally founded on the ground but concrete footings have been recently added. Both skyscrapers have been insulated, drywalled and equipped with plumbing and electric heating. The original five rental units are still leased as apartments.