In 1986 the City of Soldotna leased 6 acres in Centennial Park for a period of 30 years to the Soldotna Historical Society. In the summer of 1990 the Society opened the area to visitors to view a “homesteader’s village” comprised of several original log buildings used by Soldotna homesteaders in earlier days.
Among the log buildings available for viewing is the community school house, built in 1958. The Slikok Valley School, renamed Damon Hall in 1963, features a mural by local artist Boyd Shaffer and is filled with homesteader’s donations. The former tourist information building, used by the Soldotna Chamber of Commerce, was given to the Society in 1987 and is also within the museum with early-day artifacts and wildlife mounts on display.