Petersburg, midway between Ketchikan and Juneau, is at the northern end of the famed 21-mile-long Wrangell Narrows, a narrow but beautiful channel.
Alaska Marine Highway and Alaska Airlines connect Petersburg with Seattle and other Alaskan communities.
This community, unlike many Alaskan towns, was never a tent-and-log-cabin boom town. “Peter’s Burg” was carefully plotted by its Scandinavian founder Peter Buschmann, who started a salmon cannery and sawmill here in 1897.
The town of Petersburg was incorporated in 1910. Fishing and tourism are the mainstays of Petersburg’s approximate 3,100 residents. One of Alaska’s largest fishing fleets supplies salmon, halibut, shrimp and crab to the several fish processing and cold storage plants scattered along the waterfront.
Petersburg is a photographers dream as it is one of the prettiest towns on the shores of the Pacific.
Main Street parallels the waterfront with its canneries; wharves and fuel docks perched on pilings driven deep into the ocean floor. At the south end of Main Street, Sing Lee Alley winds between several old buildings including the Sons of Norway Hall. Nearby, a plank road skirts the warehouses and homes along the bank of Hammer Slough.